Monday, May 12, 2014

"Punkie" Cakes


Hey Jen!  
  Wait until I tell you all about this morning's breakfast!  I know I said I was going to share with you the paleo muffin recipe today, but after whipping up these Pumpkin Pancakes, I couldn't hold back, I had to talk about them!!!  I don't know why, but I just think pancakes are one of the best foods on the planet.  Not that they have any nutritional value at all.  Because I love pancakes so much I have searched high and low for a healthy option... over the last few months I have different  paleo recipes I have found on the net, but none of them were worth trying again.  A few months ago Everett bought me a book called Practical Paleo.  It's sort of a mix between a Nutrition textbook and a cookbook.  It's really cool to have those two aspects combined.  I don't know why it took me so long to finally try these recipes, but the last week I have absolutely fallen in love with Diane Sanfilippo!  Everything is so stinkin' delish and I don't feel like I'm eating a deprevation diet.  I can't wait to continue to bake "with" her and to share with you!  

  These cakes reminded me and E of crepes in a way.  They don't have any flower in them so you can taste a hint of egg, but we both really liked that!  The whole prep time took less than 5 minutes and the cakes were ready in another 5.  Such an easy meal that we LOVED!  We added some strawberries for color and elegance!  (I renamed them Punkie cakes (you know, after my own nick name...  I may see a bit of an addiction starting) )

ENJOY!!  

"Punkie" cakes:

4 eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 tbs pure maple syrup
___________________________________

1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbs butter (plus extra for skillet) 

Mix the first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Sift the spice, cinnamon and baking soda into the wet mix.  Melt the butter and add to the mix.  Stir all together.  

**I know butter doesn't seem paleo, but it's about what you use.  It should be organic grassfed butter to insure you are getting the right fats and nutrients**  (it will be more expensive, but it's worth it!!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment