Monday, February 17, 2014

Winter RUNderland!


  
Hey Jenne!

   This "weekend" has been incredible... because of the snow storm I didn't work on Thursday or Friday, today is a Holiday and I never work on Tuesdays... so I have been ENJOYING myself!  I never really let myself relax, I always have so many deadlines to meet and things to get done.  But I really let myself just be the last few days.  Yesterday was incredible.  My friend Melissa (that I have known my whole life, but never really gotten to know) and I have been trying to get together and run the last month.  Finally yesterday we both had time.  I considered all the factors before our run and didn't expect for us to get too far.  It was in the mid-20's with slush covered roads, Melissa hasn't run in a month and a half and I am dealing with "lady issues" and was feeling so queasy.  I guess good company makes for incredible things.   Some how we made it to 10 milies!  We considered pushing for a half-marathon (13.1) but strangely the minute we made it to 10 miles, both of our phones died.  Not due to short battery, but due to the cold.  Hudson is on a slant, one direction is down hill and to get home is a direct incline.  We weaved all through the town and I made sure to push on the hills, never letting our pace fall.  We settled around a 9:42/mile pace.  Not bad for what we were dealing with.
  It was one of those moments that makes me love running- truly love it.  Each mile was filled with honest and insightful conversation and we pushed each other beyond what we could have done alone.  Female friendship is something I truly could not live without, but athletic female friendship is something I truly hope every woman has the chance to experience- it is so superior to any other experience you will know.
  So I guess this last week has really helped me to get over my doubt of not reaching my goals.  At the end of week 3 of my training I knocked out 10 miles, with what felt like little effort.  That's pretty cool!
once we got inside and recharged our phones we took celebratory photos!  look at how cheesy my smile is!! 

  I love that you and your family are active together!  Especially in Winter.  I hope you high five yourself- most people prefer to stay on the couch when it's cold... you're out there kickin butt!  Down-hill skiing actually scares me, although, I'd really like to try it again (and stay on the bunny hill).  I love treating myself to chocolate milk after an intense workout and if hot chocolate made from milk (not water) is available I certainly get excited!  I think it's a good way to indulge and get some calories after pushing myself.
  You asked if I got my bike yet.  I haven't, we've been waiting for the snow to melt so we can test drive a few more... and as it turns out, it just keeps snowing more!  We are supposed to get more tomorrow!  Isn't that just crazy!!  Will it ever be Spring?

Today I will do yoga and strength train.  I am really looking forward to both of those!  I feel so confident after yesterday that I am looking forward to attacking the strength training tonight.  Melissa has so much nutrition knowledge.  She is going to come over this week and help educate me on some healthy and delicious meal options and in exchange I am going to push her on our runs.  I want to run my half in under 2 hours.  So I will need to run each mile in under 9 minutes and 8 seconds... so, that means we need to pick up our pace!  I'll make sure to share all my lessons with you!

Enjoy your President's day!
xo
Jeni

No comments:

Post a Comment