Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Don't Forget about Downtime

Hey Jenne!
  The last three weeks have all been about pushing myself.  As a result I am now teetering on the fence between full blown sickness and oh, I better rest in hopes of avoiding it.  Last night when I got home from teaching I fell instantly into bed and into such a deep sleep (only to be woken up at 9 by my phone and then stayed up till midnight).  Today has been the same so far, I just feel exhausted and have spent all day in bed drinking tea.  (I just woke up from a nap)  Yesterday should have been a strength training day and today should have been an easy 3.5 mile run, but instead I have chosen to take it easy.  I know that when I am stressed I hold so much tension in my hips and shoulders... so the last few days, in addition to not feeling well I have been insanely tight and uncomfortable.  So this morning I did a half hour "yoga for runners" practice and it made such a difference.  I notice that just being present to what is happening and breathing with intention are typically pushed aside when I am hustling and bustling between activities.  It felt great to relieve some stress and be present.
 
Even though running isn't your main event, you should try this out.  Especially if you sit at a desk for most of the day!

How important is post-workout stretching to you?  I am terrible about it... part of why I love yoga, it helps to fix my many mistakes...
Do you schedule downtime in to your routine?  How do you feel when you miss workouts?  I am trying to feel ok with allowing myself a moment to relax.  Clearly getting sick is my bodies way of communicating it doesn't get enough restorative downtime... so I guess I shall give it some now.

Hope you're having a great week!
xo
jeni  

No comments:

Post a Comment