Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Breaks and Brownies

Jeni! 

I've been gone! But I certainly haven't been slacking! This past week has been pretty similar for me with some "listen to your body" frustrations. 

Last year I had a knee strain which really cramped my cycling training for a while. The strain and my ability to ignore it ebbs and flows. My doctors orders are no high impact anything and avoid 90 degree angles in the knees. Welllllllll...

I've been taking Zumba, strength training (jumps, lunges, squats) and some other classes that likely could have some higher impact movements. Some may even have running laps. Oops! Thing is, I really like these classes. So, we've been teetering on a potential no no zone for my knee while also not bracing the knee up. 

Last week I took two days off, I also took off Monday. It irritates me, but I should not ignore what my body tells me. Right now I have been very careful with the knees. I am on the bike alot. I am wearing my most heavy duty knee brace and avoiding high knee impact. Today I modified jumping jacks and was happy that our class had wide squats. I then went on the bike and did a very low key ride (to recover from my endurance ride from yesterday). After this post we are going to pull out the bag of peas from the freezer. 

It's tough! It's frustrating. I wish I could just run and take Zumba classes everyday, but it's not what my body allows me to do. It is hard to accept. I think that all of my additional strength training has made these classes possible lately. I am certainly keeping that up.

This week is my midpoint weigh in for the 90 day challenge. I have some pretty mixed feelings about it, especially considering that I ate a quarter of a pan of brownies and four of my vanilla coconut spice bran muffins on Monday. My body is still feeling the effects of that. In the end, I think it was ok to do that. I don't often eat brownies. It was certainly interesting to see the impact on my body. I am back on track and crossing my fingers for my weigh in on Friday. We'll see how it goes!

Rest is important. For the past few weeks I've been getting at least 8 hours of sleep. The difference is great. I feel much more refreshed! I hope by the time you read this you are feeling better. 

Xoxo
Jenne

No comments:

Post a Comment