Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bad Workouts are Great Lessons

Hey Jenne!
  I know all about those days, where despite your best intentions, your workout is NOT what you hoped it would be.  I remember a few summers ago that there was a week I went from running 6 miles a day and then all of a sudden the very next week, I literally could not make it past 2 miles.  Just like you said, it's great practice to push through your training sessions, not just when it feels good.  My favorite book is called Mile Markers.  In it, Kristin Armstrong talks about how running (or cycling in your case) and all of our training prepares us for things much greater than a scheduled race.  It helps strengthen and prepare us for the worst of what life can/will throw at us.  Besides, it's the hard days that help us see how strong and far we've come and allows us to enjoy the great days/workouts!  As nutrition is something we talk a lot about, I will say, good nutrition and eating for strength can make all the difference in your ability to push or the cause of failure.  Everett always says to me that eating right for myself is like putting my air mask on in a plane-crash, I can't help others if I don't help myself... something to remember... 
  I really like rituals and habits.  I like to be spontaneous too, but need consistency at the same time.  Simple things like starting my day with a cup of green tea.  Without it I tend to feel disoriented and rushed.  As for working out, I love knowing that Sunday is my long run day.  It is guaranteed time for myself, to breathe, reflect and like you said, organize my thoughts for the upcoming week.  It also usually means eating a LOT of carbs on Saturday night!  
My dreadmill 2 miles, at least I logged something.
  I have now run 2 half-marathons and am training for my 3rd, 4th and 5th (they are all within 4 weeks of each other).  The first one I followed a training plan and the second one I just ran what I wanted to when I had the time and the race went fine.  I didn't improve my time at all, but I finished in 2 hours and 9 minutes.  This time around I want to be sub 2 hours, so I found a training plan that I think will certainly get me there... especially since I ran my fastest 3-miler just a few days ago!!!  So yesterday I was supposed to run an easy 3 miles, but the day really got away from me.  Our house is being renovated and E and I went to pickup our new fridge and grocery shop at the new Honest Weight Co-op in Albany and didn't get home until after 8pm.  I couldn't run in town, I just don't think it's safe in the dark, so I decided to just book it to the gym and log whatever I could on the "dreadmill"... I made it to the gym 20 minutes before they closed.  I hopped on and pushed out 2 miles as they were vacuuming and closing down shop.  I know I did a mile less than I should have, but I was more proud of the fact that I went and did something rather than just calling it a missed workout!  Erin, my soon-to-be-sister-in-law and I both agree that each mile logged on a treadmill should count as 10 regular miles... I really hate treadmills.   
  Today we are getting incredible amounts of snow!!  I was called last night to say that school would be closed today due to the impending weather... so I am home, not having to work.  How fabulous is that! E and I are hoping to go cross-country skiing later today, when things die down a bit!!

What would you do with a surprise day off?  Would you relax and watch movies all day or would you go do something active?

Have a great week!  Drink water, Fit thoughts!

xo
Jeni

No comments:

Post a Comment